Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Perspectives on Diversity and Equity

If I had to quickly move to another country and could only take 3 small things, I would bring:

1. My mini laptop. It has my friends and family in it. Once there, I would search every bit of that country until I found internet. So much of my daily interaction is conducted online these days that I could be in Siberia and, as long as there was internet, still remain in contact with everyone I care about.

2. My engagement ring. It reminds me of the good times in life to look forward to.

3. My Ipod, so I could listen to familiar music no matter where I was.

I would be pretty sad if I had to give up two of the items. I would choose to keep the laptop because it would do the most to keep me in touch with my old life in this country.

In doing this exercise, I learned that interaction with the people I care about  is more important to me than possesions are. Also, that people who immigrate to a new country must feel much like their former lives and friends have been stripped away. That loss would be extremely difficult to overcome.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ellen,

    It really is all about the people in our lives isn't it? I had the same mindset. Yes I would most defintely miss all my "stuff", miss "home", and probably be sad. But if I had my family with me I could find a way to survive. Stuff can be replaced, but people cannot be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ellen,
    Like you, I was thinking about taking my laptop with me. I didn't even think about how it could help to stay in contact with others. However, I think that is a great idea and plan. I agree with you that I could also leave behind most of my possessions as long as I could be with my loved ones. Thanks for the great post this week.

    ReplyDelete