Saturday, July 16, 2011

Culture and Diversity

I asked my cousin, who is 24 and in the Army, what culture is. He said it is your family traditions – how you celebrate the holidays, what you eat, what church you attend. As for diversity, he said that diversity refers to the presence of assorted races of people, not just whites.

I asked my fiancee’s 83 year old mother what culture is. She was born in France, grew up in Paris during the Occupation, and moved here as a war bride. She said culture is knowing who your ancestors were, how they lived, what was important to them. She said diversity is many people trying to live together in one world.

I asked my 82 year old neighbor what culture is. He is a widower who is living with his son and 4 grandchildren. He said it is finding out what is important to you about your family and about life..and then teaching your children and grandchildren about it.

I noticed that my cousin's answers were focused on the surface aspect of culture - the holidays, food, clothing, etc. However, the older people (my neighbor and fiancee's mother) seemed to recognize and appreciate the deeper culture i.e., extended family relationships, values, Intergenerational relationships.

On the whole, the answers were brief. I think a lot of people aren't really sure what exactly culture and diversity mean. Before entering this degree program, I probably wasn't either. I now know that culture has a lot more subtle aspects to it. Yes, there are the special foods and traditions..but there are also many values, ideas, beliefs, and roles that are related to culture.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ellen,

    I enjoyed your post. I think your statement about the similarities amongst the older generation's views of culture and diversity are true. That's why I love to sit and talk to older people because they are very wise. I also agree with you that the younger generation seems to focus on culture as surface culture. As I am growing older, I realize how limited my ideas of culture have been.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is amazing to hear the more mature generations definitions of culture and diversity. I agree with you they tend to understand there is more that just the "surface" culture that makes us who we are.

    ReplyDelete