Saturday, January 14, 2012

Creating Affirming Environments

                                                           
I believe that clear communication between me and the families in my program is extremely important. Just as large child centers do, I would provide each parent with a handbook that describes the program philosophy and policies, parent expectations,  calendar, and hours of operation. During the family’s initial visit, I would ask them about home routines, culture, and invite them to describe how they teach their child about their identity (Derman-Sparks & Edwards, 2010). This would be followed up with ongoing discussions at drop off and pick up times, email communication, etc. I want families to trust that we care about the child and family and that they belong (Derman-Sparks & Edwards, 2010).

My child care program would be located in a spacious, colorful room divided into interest areas. The walls would be hung with many assorted examples of the children’s artwork, graphs, and charts. It would be filled with bright, primary colors and a variety of materials for the children to manipulate, explore, and play with. In all areas of the room, different cultures, family styles, and people with disabilities would be represented through pictures on the wall, books, dolls, puzzles, and/or costumes. We would have a collage of family photos, with parents asked to bring in additional photos throughout the year.



I really liked Adriana' Castillo’s description of an emotional/sensory area that included dolls, sensory/emotion games, and an area to play house (Laureate, 2011).  I also liked Adriana’s method of greeting parent(s) and child each morning. Moving into the nap room and relaxing with the child in a rocking chair during a stressful drop would comfort the child and give him/her one on one attention (Laureate, 2011). The parents would leave knowing their child was going to be well cared for.

Reference:

Derman-Sparks, L., & Olsen Edwards, J. (2010). Anti-bias education for young children and ourselves. Washington, D.C.: National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC).

Laureate Education Inc., (2011). “Welcome to an Anti-Bias Learning Community.”






5 comments:

  1. Ellen - I watched the video and my first impression of the family child care owner was how supportive and comforting she seemed to be. Here setting was very welcoming and she had really thought about how to make sure her students felt at home and comfortable. She did a great job. I loved your idea of incorporating different types of costumes. What kind were you thinking of?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ellen,

    I feel like slapping myself upside the head! How could I forget including children's artwork on the walls? What a vital and important part of any classroom. It helps them take some ownership. Kudos to you for mentioning such an important part!

    I too loved the emotional sensory area. When I taught 4K that was one of our big pushes-emotional health. With more children carrying more baggage with them to school, I think that is a fabulous idea for an early childhood classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ellen,
    I really liked the focus you would place on communicating with parents to make your center one where "parents would leave knowing their child was going to be well cared for." As a parent, this would be very reassuring-I would not want to leave my son somewhere if I was not sure that he was in capable hands! Your inclusion of families through open communication and materials would definitely help build trust and strong relationships between you and the families at your center.
    I too like the idea of an emotional sensory area; like Molly said above, this could benefit a lot of children! I also love your idea of creating a collage of family photos that could be added to throughout the year, this could really be a fun project to make and enjoy throughout the year-thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ellen,

    I really enjoyed reading your post. You gave great insight and information about the type of program you will have. I agree with you in the fact that communication is key with parents. It is so important to have a good rep or with the families. I do feel that you have thoroughly thought about the type of program that you will have and it will be very successful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ellen, I can clearly invision your child care center. I can see that the information you are providing the families is very helpful in regards to understanding of how your center runs as well as the expectation from each of the parts participating. I also liked how Adrana's daycare was set up, in regards to making all a transition from one area to another, it gave the children time to ajust and process that difficult process of seperation from their parents. Many times centers do not give the proper attention to this so difficult transition, that instead of helping they make it more traumatic for the child and the parent.

    ReplyDelete