Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Observing Communication

                                                          


The interaction I observed was between a Pre-kindergarten teacher and her student. The little girl was about to start a kindergarten readiness assessment, part of which was a test involving letter and number recognition.



The teacher positioned herself in a low chair at the table so that she was at eye level with the student. She carefully explained the test instructions, making sure the student understood what the test would consist of. She referred to the child by name, and touched her on the arm when she wanted her to pay specific instruction to something on the test. She maintained eye contact, and spoke in a calm, quiet voice. I feel that her communication style helped the student feel as if the teacher had confidence in her ability to do well on the test. This would be a good self-esteem booster for the child, and would allow her to concentrate on the test itself.



In my opinion, the teacher did a good job of communicating with the student. The resources for this week were about affirming and effective communication between teachers and students. I really couldn’t think of anything else the teacher might have done to meet that goal.



Whenever possible, I position myself at eye level with my students so that we can each focus on what the other is saying. I try not to rush them when they are explaining something or telling a story. That part is hard for me, and I have noticed it is hard for many teachers to let children take their time when they have something to say. We are all working on that at my preschool. If we rush children, finish their sentences, or talk over them, we aren’t allowing them a fair chance to really express themselves.

6 comments:

  1. Ellen,
    It is hard to be patient while a child speaks. Sometimes they go on and on seeminly without purpose. But I agree with you, we need to slow down and allow a child the time to tell us something and really listen to them. I also try not to talk over them. I find myself more aware of these things and am working on improving my communication skills.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ellen,
    I too find that hard. Even today when my 7yr old was telling me a story I finished his sentence for him. It's a painstaking process but we all have to over come it if we (like you said) want to give them a fair chance to really express themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ellen -- I wrote about improving my praise and encouragement when I work with students. I understand what you are saying too. We often are thinking of a hundred other things we should be doing rather than focusing on whats right in front of us - the students. I am working on making changes in my communication with my students.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ellen,
    I feel it is important to get down to a child's level whenever they are speaking beceause it makes the child more comfortable. I remember when I was little I was afraid of my Uncle Paul. He was 6 feet 4 inches and had avery deep voice. Every time he spoke I would go and hide because I as afraid of him and thought that he was a monster. The last time I saw him which was in 2002 I jokingly told him well since I am now an adult I am no longer afraid of you. He laughed. I also need to work on not interrupting when a child is speaking and allow them to take their time to express themselves. I need to remember that it may take a child a little bit longer to say what is on their mind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anxiety kicks in for many of us due to anticipation of taking a test. I feel that the teacher was very proficient in her approach to make this a smooth and relaxing experience for this child. This approach showed that the teacher wanted this to be a positive experience for the child and increased his chances of having a successful outcome. I feel she communicated in way that made the child feel valued and respected.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with the fact that we have to provide children with the necesarry time for them to feel confident to express their toughts. Because we live in a moment were everything has do be done fast, even communication we often do not give the children the opportunity to think and express what they want, need or feel and we often put words on their month or make assumptions based on what we think and not on what the child said.

    ReplyDelete