Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Communication Week 2 Make-up post

I decided to look for a random show on television for this assignment. I flipped around and came up with a show called The Good Life. It was on one of those ‘oldies’ tv stations, and kind of looked like what we used to call Afternoon Specials back in the 70’s. I watched the first part with the sound off.

It started with a teenager, walking into a middle school. He seemed to be sad. He walked along with his hands in his pocket and a frown in his face, hardly looking left and right.
A woman came out of an office and seemed to call this boy. He looked up, surprised. By the smile playing around her mouth and her bright eyes, I could tell she had some kind of good news or maybe a surprise of some kind for him.
When he walked into her office, she showed him a piece of paper and he grew very excited. His eyes were wide open and he had sort of a flushed face. He got a big smile on his face, so it was obviously good news. They were both smiling and happy. She shook his hand and seemed to be congratulating him.

I turned on the sound to see what was going on. Sure enough, the boy had entered a writing contest. He didn’t think he had a chance of winning because he didn’t have training and wasn’t a ‘fancy’ writer. He wrote from the heart, though, and that is what made the judges vote for him. The woman was his English teacher and the prize notice was what she had shown him.

My assessment of what was going on turned out to be quite accurate. If I had been able to hear, I would have been able to make out the finer details.

It actually was a pretty good movie  :  )

1 comment:

  1. Ellen,

    When I first started losing my hearing, I felt at a loss, like I missed fine points of conversations, verbal innuendos, and tones behind what is being said. I have now since accomodated but it's amazing how much we depend on our senses.

    Sondi

    ReplyDelete