Saturday, January 22, 2011

My Connections to Play

When kids play,  they remember.They may not be aware they are learning, but they sure
are aware they are having fun. When you have a good belly laugh with your siblings or
parents or friends, that stays with you. And the great thing is that is comes so naturally…
if we only let it.
--Rebecca Krook, play facilitator for kids with
disabilities
Play gives children a chance to practice what they are learning....They have to play with
what they know to be true in order to find out more, and then they can use what they
learn in new forms of play.

--Fred Rogers of Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood


As a child, I gravitated towards 'real life' play. By that I mean dollhouses, dolls, playhouses, etc. At the age of 5, I would have been happiest in a back yard playhouse  that was large enough to contain a  play kitchen with miniature cooking utensils. There would be a family of baby dolls to feed, bathe, and dress, and I, of course, would be the mommy. I would be equally happy playing there alone or with a friend. My parents were supportive of this to some extent, I suppose,  but back in the 60's most parents didn't concern themselves too  much with what their children were playing...or why

I believe this 'real life' play was essential to my emotional well being. My father was in the Air Force, which meant that we were uprooted on a regular basis. By age 5, I had lived in Japan, Texas, Mississippi, and Massachusetts. That lack of stability was very difficult for a young child to cope with. Although I was too young to recognize and/ or voice it, I absolutely craved normalcy in my life. I just wanted a reliable routine that I could count on. It was not to be, however, as we continued to relocate at that pace until I was 12.  In play, I could forget that my life was stressful. In the sane, predictable ritual of caring for my dolls, I could soothe myself. I really needed that!


I believe we need to play throughout our lives. It relieves stress, allows us a healthy outlet in which to be competitive, and keeps our survival skills honed.

As an educator, I understand the value of role play and make believe, and offer abundant opportunities for it at my preschool. It's a safe haven for children to explore their feelings, practice life skills, and develop socially. I find that preschoolers love to engage in 'real life' play just as much as I did. I like to quietly observe their play or, if invited, may even join in...but I usually let someone else be the mommy these days  : )

2 comments:

  1. Ellen, I found your post this week especially enlightening. I work with a lot of military families and can attest to the fact that many children have a hard time adjusting to constant changes in their lives. I found interesting to read that real life play was a way for you to cope and find a routine for yourself that helped you cope. You are right that playing house can be a way to find normalcy because you can create your own world and life. Come to think of it, I think even in adulthood people seek to make their lives more constant and livable by playing games such as SIMS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ellen,
    Your post was great it give me a different way to look at play. I never looked at it as way for a children to release stress. Sometimes as adults we forget that children worry and are stress about issues that parents go through. By playing, they are able to forget about the stress and live in a imaginary world. I agree with you that adult do play to relieve the stress of everyday life.

    ReplyDelete