Thursday, November 4, 2010

The Birth Experience

I was 30 the first time I gave birth, and 32 the second. The first time, I was in weak labor for about 15 hours. It wasn't especially painful but wasn't getting me anywhere, either. I was put on a Pitocin drip, which immediately threw me into intense labor. Whew, I wasn't ready for that! After struggling along for a few more hours in terrible, panicky pain, my doctor asked if I wanted an epidural. Did I ever! The instant I had the epidural, the pain just completely stopped...it was wonderful. I barely even felt the baby come out.

The next time around, I told my doctor many times during the pregnancy that I wanted an epidural much sooner this time. When labor started, and we went to the hospital, I told the nurse I wanted an epidural right away. She wanted to hold off on calling the anesthesiologist till labor had progressed more, but I held my ground. Remember, I had just gone through all this a year and 1/2 before and vividly remembered every nightmarish moment- no way was I planning to endure any more pain than was absolutely necessary. My doctor backed me up and had them make the call. Consequently, I had an epidural very early in the labor experience. I did not have any discomfort at all during that delivery..played cards with my husband, chatted with the nurses, watched t.v., and painlessly pushed the baby out when the doctor said to. What a difference!

I did some reading on giving birth in Japan. The main differences between US and Japan birthing experience:

1. Women are considered old for birthing after age 35 (it was 30 until just a few years ago) and pregnancy is considered riskier. Even so, one must specifically ask for testing, such as amniocentesis. US doctors tend to offer, and patiently discuss, any possible testing options. In addition, pregnancies after the age of 35 are quite common.in the US.

2. Japanese doctors do not offer pregnant women vitamins or want women to gain much weight during pregnancy, US doctors are much more concerned about proper nutriction.

3. Hospitals are small and tend to be run by 1 or 2 doctors and a staff of nurses. It is common for these doctors to assist at 5 or 6 births a day. They are very busy, and have little time to answer questions in detail or discuss options. US doctors take a lot more time to listen to prospective parents and answer questions.

4. Pain relief is not commonly offered to laboring women. US doctors commonly discuss methods of pain relief before the birth, and have it readily available during the birth.   Amen to that  :  )

I was most surprised to find that the doctors in Japan don't routinely address the issues of nutrition and prenatal vitamins. It is well known that infants born of mothers without comprehensive prenatal care are much more likely to face complications than infants who get a healthier start during the pregnancy.


Take, T. (2010, June 17). Don't be afraid to ask questions about giving birth in japan. The Japan Times, pp. B1, B11-B13.

3 comments:

  1. I will make sure when I am ready to conceive and give birth to a child, I will ask for an epidural until they give it to me! It's odd to know that doctor's in Japan, don't prescribe any nutrition or prenatal pills for the sake of the child's health.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So after reading these blogs, I realize more than ever that an epidural is very much needed!It seems so weird for the Japanese culture to call a woman in her early to mid 30's old for birth. I feel sorry for a woman in Japan who doesn't have the option for an epidural.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean about the epidurals. I did not have epidurals with my first two children. I did get one with the third but the doctor had to cut it off when I was 7 cm. I was also shocked to learn the doctors in Japan do not give vitamins. Could this be way Japan women are so small?

    ReplyDelete